Thanks to an anonymous donor who has provided matching funds, another entire community can be treated for jiggers:
- individuals will be treated
- infested homes will be fumigated
- floors and bedding will be dusted with diatomaceous earth, a safe, natural product that kills the jigger flea on contact
- community members will be trained on hygiene practices to keep the pests away
- out-of-school children will be enumerated & enrolled in the local primary school
- more children will attend school and get an education
So far this year, the jigger eradication project has achieved the following:
- 294 formerly out-of-school-children (OOSC) located and enrolled in primary school
- 644 households fumigated, dusted, trained on hygiene practices
- 1,822 individuals treated
- 14 implementing partners in 9 regions of Western province partnered with ACCES
Why its important: To ensure that ALL children are able go to school and study in good health. Jiggers are debilitating, and even deadly if not eradicated. The government of Kenya has issued a National Policy On Jigger Eradication which ACES and its partners are following.
Show your passion for children’s education, and support the 2015 Jigger Eradication Fund today!
This project still has an anonymous donor who will match new donations*, doubling your support instantly.
Click here to donate online, or call (604) 688.4880 to set it up over the phone.
*Donations above your normal annual giving.
Treating a family for Jiggers.
Formerly out-of-school children.
After the treatment.